I would rather be alone but
together instead of together but alone.
“The suffering or the bad
memories are as important as the good memories, and the good experiences. If
you sort of, can imagine life as being 99% of the time quite linear, and most
of the time you're in a state of neither happiness nor sadness. And then that
1% of the time you experience moments of very crystallized happiness, or
crystallized sadness, or loneliness or depression. And I believe all of those
moments are very pertinent. It's like I said to you, that for me it's mostly
those crystallized moments of melancholy which are more inspirational to me.
And in a strange way they become quite beautiful in their own way.
“Music that is sad, melancholic,
depressing, is in a kind of perverse way more uplifting. I find happy music
extremely depressing, mostly - mostly quite depressing. It's particularly this
happy music that has no spirituality behind it - if it's just sort of mindless
party music, it'd be quite depressing. But largely speaking, I was the kind of
person that responds more to melancholia, and it makes me feel good. And I
think the reason for this is, I think if you respond strongly to that kind of
art, it's because in a way it makes you feel like you're not alone. So when we
hear a very sad song, it makes us realize that we do share this kind of common
human experience, and we're all kind of bonded in sadness and melancholia and
depression.”
-Steven Wilson
No comments:
Post a Comment