February 27, 2013

Recording Technology and Music, Part IV: Lingering Thoughts


Our long arc stretching through Thomas Edison, The Beatles, and Radiohead is now closed.  The story is far from over though.  Here are two revelations that came to me while I was doing all this research into recording technology:

1.  I sometimes wish I could live for 300 more years just to see what people will think of the time period I was born in.  I would love to see the reaction of kids in a history class that crack open their textbook, read about us, and say “What?  They really did that?”  I am especially curious to see what people will think of the music of our time.  I find it fascinating that we have no problem lumping 300 years worth of music together and calling this “classical music”, but we find the compelling urge to have 100 different sub genres for 20 years worth of electronic dance music.  Our lens is so small now.  In the future, will we look back and be able to give a unified sound to Elvis, Shania Twain, and Skrillex?  What’s the common thread there?  All made using recording technology.  So if I had to take a wild guess, the word “popular music” is going to go out the window because it is such a loaded word (if Verdi made Italian opera so popular back in the 1800s, doesn’t that constitute “popular” music?).  This music we know and love will be dubbed by the thing that Edison helped to grace the lips of music for the first time:  “electronic” music. 

2.  Where are things going to go next?  I am excited to see.  I know that I cannot even possibly conceive how music is going to change in the next 100 years.  My brain does not have that capacity any more than it has the capacity to comprehend how many stars are in the night sky.  Can you imagine if you dropped someone from the year 1900 into the year 2000?  They couldn’t even process 1/1,000 of the information bombarding them.  Having said this, the last 100 years have been pretty radical.  Maybe things won’t change as much, but I think it would be foolish to say music will stay the same for the next 100 years. 

One thing I have thought about is if we could consider the internet to be a new artistic medium for music.  You could argue that it is not an actual medium, rather it is just a means to transport existing music quicker.  After all, wouldn’t someone have figured out how to utilize the internet to revolutionize the process to create music by now?  Remember, though, that this is exactly what people thought of recording technology when it first came out.  It took many years (and many different upgrades in the hardware) for recording technology to go from a passive transmitter to an artistic medium.  The internet might have a long way to evolve. 

For the sake of argument, let’s say someone has already figured out how to utilize the internet in the same way that The Beatles used recording technology to shift music.  Is it possible we just haven’t noticed?  There is a great term out there to describe the current landscape of culture: “cyberbalkanism”.   We all exist in these small, fractured little bubbles.  Or more accurately, they are more like little echo chambers.  With everyone so entrenched in their own interests, it is hard to make a piece of art (say, a piece of music) that would resonate across these fractured little bubbles in culture.  Everybody listened to The Beatles in the 1960s because the flow of music was more like a dripping spigot back then (remember my first post when I talked about “music as a commodity”?).  Now it is an open body of fresh water where you can take a drink from wherever you want to (“music became ubiquitous”).  So paradoxically, the internet might be causing its own problems.  It has created of sea of information so vast that any major evolution might go unnoticed.  Disturbingly, the only thing that has come close to resonating across many swaths of culture in recent memory is Gangnam Style.  Does anyone know of a cultural fast forward button?  Please tell me you didn’t lose the remote.


No comments:

Post a Comment