July 13, 2011

I haven’t played my trumpet in months.

I’m sure many people would cringe at the sight of that sentence.  For a long time, I felt guilty about it myself.  Why would I throw away 5 years of hard work in college practicing the trumpet?  Why would I let myself slip away from my trumpet playing prime?  The easy answer would be that I’m lazy, but I think quite the opposite is true.  I’ve been keeping real busy the past few months.  So what gives?

I have always been a very broad person.  Here is a short list of my strange (but very serious) hobbies: yo-yoing, juggling, skateboarding, video games, theoretical physics, roller coasters, fans (don’t ask), and meteorology.  The same idea applies to me with music.  I was a senior in high school when I decided to pursue music in college.  I thought about doing trumpet performance for no more than 30 seconds.  My interest in music extended far beyond just playing the trumpet.  And now, I have time to explore these other interests. 
I am composing and arranging a lot more.  I enjoy it because it engages my creativity and curiosity the most.  Even though I’m not playing an instrument, composing and arranging strongly engage my musicianship.  I am constantly making musical decisions that affect how the listener is going to react to the piece.  In addition, I am listening to a lot of music.  I’ve listened to Mahler’s first three symphonies and finally have a better conception of his music. 
I’m playing lots of piano.  I’m mediocre, but I’m pushing to get way better.  Have you ever played another instrument and felt an instant connection with it?  That was me and piano.  I am a visual learner, so being able to see the keys and visualize music theory is a big plus for me (unlike the trumpet, where you can’t see what your lips are doing).  I have good hand-eye coordination, which is what also drew me to juggling and video games when I was younger.  I can compose a lot more easily with piano since I can accompany myself with chords.  The issues I had playing trumpet (range, embouchure, warming up) don’t apply to piano.  Finally, and most importantly, I don’t need a rigid practice schedule to play piano.  If I take a week off trumpet, I’m sunk.  If I take a week off piano, it’s like nothing ever happened (granted I’m only a mediocre player and it’s probably different for professionals).  As a future teacher, it will be very hard to keep up an instrument that requires a daily routine. 



If I had the chance, would I go back in time and choose to play a different instrument?  Probably not.  Even though I had no idea why the hell I picked to play the trumpet in 5th grade, I wouldn’t have been put on the same life path without it.  I am incredibly thankful for how far the trumpet has taken me.  The way I look at it, the trumpet has been the key to the door of the musical kingdom.  Now I am here in this vast world of music with so many opportunities in front of me.  I want some time to explore now.  My relationship with my trumpet will be similar to the ones you share with life-long friends.  Your relationship with come and go, separated by both geography and time.  But whenever there is a chance to reconnect in the future, it feels as if you were never apart.
Someone once asked me (I think it was you Mike) if it was slightly hypocritical that I will be telling future students to practice their instruments when I won’t be practicing mine.  Damn good point.  That one did get me to scratch my head for a while...here is my answer.  Everyone has a different philosophy of how and why music should be taught.  Mine is that musicianship extends beyond the instrument you are playing.  The trumpet is only one way for me to communicate my inner musician.  There are many other ways to keep pushing my musicianship besides just playing the trumpet.  I want to instill my students with the same idea. 
For me, it’s a matter of catering to multiple intelligences.  Yes, I do want to push my students to be great players.  But the screw off percussion player may be a gifted composer.  The lazy saxophone player might be able to critically listen to all the nuances in alterative rock (which is a skill majorly taken for granted).  The autistic trombone player might be a music theory wizard, able to dive into a composer’s head and deconstruct a piece from the inside.  The bassoon player might be an expert in Chopin and discuss the rich history and culture that contextualized his music.  Aren’t all these talents valid, and don’t they all need to be nurtured?  These are all actual cases from my student teaching experience, by the way.
And for the record, I am playing a little bit of trumpet now.  I’m about to teach a band camp in 2 weeks, so I actually have been bringing back my trumpet chops so I can play with the students and model passages of music.  I can almost play above the staff.  The musician in me is screaming.


5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I recognize a bunch of those kids in that second to last paragraph! I wish that I practiced more, but every time I pull out my trumpet, saxophone, clarinet, guitar, keyboard or what ever, I have a very curious 3 year old that wants to play with me. Priorities are the things that are most important. I obviously agree with your philosophy...keep your standards of music education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I figured you would recognize them!

    I'd love to see some video of Jeffrey trying to play those instruments! Is the trumpet still his go to instrument?

    I understand about priorities...I can't even imagine how things are going to change when I have a kid! I'm barely keeping up with myself right now! I always admired your balance between work and family life...something that I've heard many band directors don't have.

    Thanks for the comments Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true that music consists of more than just performance, and you should foster all of the different avenues into which talent and interest can go. Here is where I'm not quite sure I understand your intent, however - in the students whose passions lie in these other areas, would you encourage them to indulge in those skills while neglecting the performance aspect (or any of the others)? As you said, playing trumpet did nothing but help improve your musical skills and provide an entryway to your current career path. To have a good working knowledge of their area of interest, it would be in their best interests as learners and yours as a teacher to not only encourage that specific talent but also educate them in a well-rounded manner. It can only help deepen their understanding of music as a whole.

    On a separate note, I'm disappointed I don't get to see you this year! Let me know what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Clem! I'll send ya a FB message to tell you what's going on with me...also want to hear about you!

    It's good to hear some of your thoughts! You used the word "well rounded", and I think that perfectly encapsulates what I am going for. Jeff who posted above you was my co-operating teacher for my student teaching. He calls this philosophy "comprehensive musicianship" (he really helped me solidify my philosophy of teaching!).

    In my ideal program, I wouldn't let a student quit their instrument to do composition (and vise versa). They go in conjunction with each other, both moving towards the same end of improving musicianship. Students don't pick and choose...ALL students will play, compose, listen, and research about music...it will be mandatory. I know some students will not like this. The 1st chair clarinet player might hate composition, but maybe the last chair clarinet player shines at it. Again, it is all about balancing the needs and talents of all the students.

    It is tough to do this though. At Troy it was 100% performance based and we sounded exceptional. In my class, there might be a 70% performance focus and then a 30% focus on the other stuff (I'm just making up numbers). I hate admitting this, but performance will suffer...there is no way around it when you devote 30% less time to it.

    But I think the benefits outweigh the costs. My greatest hope is that more students will continue participating with music in some form after high school (because so many of my friends did not). Right now, I think a lot of people feel they can't make music unless they have a conductor in front of them...and this isn't true. Maybe one kid will stop playing his instrument but start composing his own music on Garageband. Yes he isn't playing an instrument anymore, but I don't think he's any less of a musician because of it.

    Sorry...this is a really long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh please do write a blog post above your "fan" hobby

    ReplyDelete